Sunday, March 6, 2011

Uncle George


On February 15th I found out that my Uncle George passed away. I was devastated to live so far away and felt hopeless in my ability to be home and be there for the funeral and to be with my family. The next day Mike called me on my way home from the base and told me I needed to go home. He had sorted out a couple days of leave and could sort out the rest of the week with our friends to help with the kids.
I got to Utah the Friday evening before the funeral and was so grateful to be there. My Uncle George was someone who had always been very dear to my heart. He was always making me feel special and loved. My first thought after finding our that he had passed was knowing that when I went home I wouldn't have one of his famous hugs. The kind of hug that makes you feel like you are the most important thing to him right then. I will miss those hugs.
My Uncle George also always had a little sweetie in his pocket for us. When I went back home for Christy's 100 mile run in September I was at my cousin Jacob's 8th Birthday party. Uncle George was there and after one of his wonderful hugs he pulled out a package of sweets and handed them to me, stating that I was never to old to get something special from my Uncle George. Uncle George will be missed by many who loved him for the service and kindness he showed to so many. I love you so much Uncle George.



























The bitter sweet part of funerals is that you are saying goodbye to one member of the family, but you get to see those family members that mean so much to you. Seeing so many people that I love all together was a blessed day in my book. It was priceless and special.










I just saw this picture opportunity and had to take it. Uncle Dave and Kellie. I'm pretty sure I just happened to get the best Uncles in the world. They are everything a proper Uncle should be.








Speaking of Uncles, I'm so grateful I get to be an Auntie..I also have fabulous Auntie's that have taught me all the proper ways to succeed in being an Auntie. This is myself and Kris. It is essential to be a little silly, have a lot of fun, and never miss the chance to stick out our tongue for a picture. :)










The flowers and everything for the funeral were incredible. The food provided, service rendered and time spent in helping my Aunt Marla and those suffering from the loss of George was amazing.
Instead of flowers they also received these fruit bouquets that were adorable in so many ways. Just thought I would highlight the amazing pineapple flower. :)











Myself and my Aunt Marla. I adore my Aunt Marla and all the memories I have with her and the whole family. George and Marla had me over in their home for sleepovers, we went Christmas tree hunting with them, myself and my cousin AJ were told we were so much like twins that I felt like a daughter to George and Marla. I love them both so much, I'm grateful for a husband who knew where I needed to be and who made it happen. I am so lucky to have the family I do, both extended and immediate. The amazing relationships I have with each of them are a treasure to me.
A blog has been set up for those of us who will cherish always our uncle, husband, brother, friend, father, cousin, and son George S. Mason
www.memoriesofgeorgesmason.blogspot.com



No comments: