Thursday, February 7, 2008

Mason

So I just got Mason off the bus from school for the day and found a pleasant note in his folder. It said that one of his friends at school asked for his phone number. I guess this young guy is a year older than the rest of the students. He sits with Mason everyday at lunch. As Mason's para put it, "he is mature enough to handle Mason's ups and downs." Patience is a virtue that anyone would learn with Mason--trust us on that one!! We see friends on occasion at birthday parties and things out of school. Never really any play dates. I dont' feel comfortable sending Mason to someone elses house alone and nothing as worked out for people to come here. There are many issues with sending a special needs child somewhere else. Most of all he is non-verbal, if something were to happen he could not tell me. I am hoping that this friend of his will be able to come over and play. It is so fun to see children accept and love Mason. Someone may think that is an easy task, but for a child there is much to put up with to be friends with Mason. As a parent of a special needs child your main concern is true inclusion. Young children can be very rude--we have seen that already in our years. You also have the children that stand out as wonderful examples of love towards anyone!
I was just pleased with Mason's notebook comments today and hope this is a start to some great relationships that we can build in the future.

1 comment:

Denise Christiansen said...

this made me cry, I'm so greatful for this wonderful child reaching out to mason. he is so easy to love if just given a chance. good luck with this situation, I pray it works out great! keep us informed.