Thursday, June 10, 2010

Brennan

Where did the month of May go? I lost Brennan and looked through the house about 10 times before I finally walked into the playroom. I saw the blanket had been moved and was a little lumpy. I'm glad I went in and saw this little bundle of sunshine and happiness!!
10 Days Post-Op
999 what's your emergency? Tuesday and dinner time at my house are apparently a recipe for disaster! (same day of the week and timing of the burn incident) I told the kids they had 10 minutes to play until was ready and sent them upstairs. About 1 minute later I heard 'that' scream. You know the one I am talking about, right? I ran upstairs and heard shouting come from all the kids. Carter was running downstairs telling me that Brennan's finger was shut in the door by Mr. Mason. So I grabbed his hand to find that the tip of the finger was flipped backwards and hanging by some extra skin that hadn't cut.

I scooped him up and used the paper towel that was in my hand to wrap his finger. After that first minute is where the blood suddenly started to come. I called my friend Robyn, hers is the only number here I have memorized. So I called her and was trying to scream into the phone with great volume than that of Brennan's scream. Finally I told Carter to take the phone into the kitchen and tell her what was going on and to come quickly. I wanted to get him to the hospital as fast as I could and didn't know how long it would take to get someone at the house. I ran across the street to see if they were both home and if one of them could sit with the other kids while I took Brennan to A&E (ER). As our luck would have it she was the only one there with her kids plus some of their friends. That is when I realized, I was going to have a heck of a time driving and holding Brennan's finger tip on his body. Not sure what to do my neighbor said we were calling 999 and had the phone in no time. She talked with them and we had a fabulous shiny ambulance there within a few minutes. We are not the far from the hospital, lucky us.
After seeing the doctors here in Bury St. Edmunds, they decided we would have to go to Cambridge to see the plastic surgery unit.
Brennan and I came home and grabbed a few things to head down to Cambridge. We got to the hospital and were seen only to be told that the doctors told them the wrong thing about the finger. Something about the difference between the nail bed and nail plate. So surgery was not as urgent as what they thought it would need to be. We were then put on the waiting list and it could have been a couple days before they got to it. They sent us home and we pulled up into our drive at 3:00am. I was exhausted, had left my house keys and didn't want to wake anyone sleeping in my house, so I just crawled into the back of the van and crashed.
When I awoke at 6:30 we headed in the house to find that the FABULOUS Lund partnership was hard at work getting Mason ready for school. Truly my hero's at this point and I could never thank them enough.
Brennan layed down in his bed, helped with Mason and settled in for a bit not knowing when the hospital would call in the following few days. At 8am they called and and asked if we could be there by 10. Seriously? Are you serious? We were just there!!!!! However, I headed down there and wanted this taken care of ASAP.
Brennan was a super patient and so chilled about all the poking and prodding that was happening. He watched them do the IV and was fascinated by all the people around him. I got to hold him while they put him to sleep, then the doctors worked their magic on a finger that looked beyond repair. We were released later that day and Brennan acted like nothing happened. He did learn words like, "ouchy, hands, door, hurt, and finger." It turns out it was not as far down as they first thought. It was hard to see anything with how horrid it looked.
We are once again lucky that his wasn't worse. It was just one finger, and he was resilient too all the tradegy given him.



Shoveling with his protective glove to keep the dirt out of his finger wound. He did insist on the bear coming and helping him get all the weeds.








Brennan Guy--"Tank"

2 comments:

Our Family said...

That reminds me so much of when Keegan cut his finger, it's amazing how resiliant they are. He was about that same age, I remember what a pain it was trying to keep it from getting infected, good luck!

Kalli and Derek said...

Oh my gosh!!! I had no idea that happened, poor thing. What door was it shut in? I can't believe that could cause that much damage, it makes my stomach turn. OUCH! I'm so sorry you had to deal with that stress, I'm glad you found someone to help.