Friday, November 20, 2009

Too much???

I need some more opinions here. Carter has been going on and on about a black ninja that some of his friends see at the school. He has special stones that the ninja has been after, it really goes into much detail. Long story short, his teacher approached me today about how they are a little worried. Then his other teacher walked off and the main teacher said, "I'm not to worried, but Ms. ### is(they one who had left)."
I wasn't really worried about it either until now. Should I be? Carter is only 6 years old. Unless it is the time to break all other news to him about certain holidays etc....then who am I to judge. He is one of the few children now a days who are allowed to have an imagination and let it run. When I try to say that it is pretend and it's okay to say so then he gets all offended and feels bad that I don't believe him.
I don't exactly know what I am asking other than advice/opinion on the matter. At what age do you start breaking down that real vs. pretend world. Also, when I told him that he could always use his imagination to write a book about this pretend ninja he responded, "Well mom, I could but it would be non-fiction because it is real, mom." What do you say to that???

8 comments:

Amber said...

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it's becoming a disturbance in class then yeah, talk to him about when it's appropriate and not. Other than that- I think pretend is AWESOME. I was worried about my boys for the longest time because they DIDN'T seem to know how to pretend.

He's 6. Way to young to take away that world- in my opinion. Just go along with it for now I'd say. It will run its course. He'll figure out the real/pretend thing. I do think encouraging him to write about it is great idea. Non-fiction or fiction. :D

The Dahls said...

i agree with Amber

mcintyreandco said...

Brayden wants to be a Jedi when he grows up. I tried explaining to him that Jedi's aren't "real" and he needs to pick another "career" but he doesn't get it. So...he's going to be a Jedi. :) I think that is great that Carter has such an imagination! He'll grow out of it unfortunately. Let them be little! :) You're a great Mom!

Unknown said...

I had an imaginary friend until I was older than six and eventually reality took over...imagination is wonderful and I don't think you need to worry. Your idea to write about it is perfect -- and as Amber said, fiction or non!

Christy Jo McFarland said...

I still believe in fairies and so do Skye and Wynter, we write notes to them and they sometimes write back so ..... that should answer your question;)

Unknown said...

Hello there Holly! I ran across your blog somehow and I thought I would comment....(by the way cute blog)
I wouldn't worry about it at all. Colby(my step son who is 8) did alot of pretending and was obessed with Star Wars. He eventually learned to tone it down a bit but they are kids and there is nothing wrong with using that great imagination.

Whit said...

I don't know if you remember me from high school or not but I read your blog from time to time! Cute family! I say kids grow up way to fast and most of them aren't taught to pretend or know how to use their imagination. I think it's great that he still pretend's (or doesn't!!!) he'll be able to use it to his benefit one day. Eventually he'll start to understand the difference of reality and pretend until then I say pretend with him!!!

Matt and Jeni and kids said...

Some of the greatest people in history got to where they are because they had an imagination, Walt Disney!!! He is a smart kid and will be smart enough one day, in my opinion-too soon, to realize the difference between reality and imagining. That day, I think, will be a sad day when your kids don't believe in the impossible or the extraordinary things that they create in "their world' when they're little! Explore that imaginary world with them while you can and awesome idea to put it in writing!