If you don't mind I am going to have one of those moments where I spew off some thoughts and hope they make sense. I had a great day today. I just had Mason and Brennan (the van was very quite). Maybe that is what provoked so many thoughts. We had to run a few errands and then go on the ultimate experience of a serious commissary run. I am talking the huge load that weighs 5 tons and you pray you will be able to push the cart again after your momentum has been stopped by someone who is obviously in a bigger hurry than you and cuts you off.
We had been to the BX and the BXtra already. Mason had successfully tried his best to get me to buy some Cinnabon and I diligently refused. He helped with getting the items needed and walked out nicely. That is a HUGE achievement for Mason. At the commissary we had the opportunity to wait for a cart that Mason can sit in. You know, the one with the attachment at the back with two sitting portions. Mason likes to sit and that is fine with me. Mason was touching every few people and wanting to say, "Hi." It was funny to see him actually reach out and attempt some communication with people he did not know. This is again something that is out of the norm. Mason sat the whole time, helped with the shopping some. :) Mostly he just wanted to be there and observe people. On the way home Mason and Brennan were watching Signing Time. That is a favorite in our home and something that has helped Mason and the family with communication. Although Mason can't really do any of the signs perfectly he knows them and tries to do quite a few.
This gets me to my point, I think. At the end of the DVD there is a song about doing things in your own time, about everyone shining at some thing and that they are fabulous for what they do. I met a mother just a few months ago who's son was born without a femur bone. That portion of his leg had to be amputated and she was just so sad that this all was happening.(they had been tol deverything was fine from the ultrasounds) I took my four kids over to meet her and just spend some time with her so that she knew someone else went through that, "Trip to Holland when you expected Italy moment with having a child." She was visiting her sister here in England at the time. My kids were crazy for the 5 hours that we were there that first visit and I didn't know if I helped or just made things worse. She went back to Scotland and we hadn't talked since. However, she came down again this last week and saw me again. I do need to say that her boy has this smile that is fabulous and just this happy spirit about him. I adore him and have since the first time we met. He is almost 6 months old and is really doing great. She looked SO much better, so much more alive, smiled and laughed with me, it was so great. I had the best time just being with her and her son. Her and I were talking about the sting of other mothers 'bragging' about their children's accomplishments. Please do not take this wrong. I am so tickled when my kids do something, I brag and have to say a few words. I enjoy hearing about others milestones as well. It is when conversations steer in that direction of, "My kid did that at 5 months and hers was 10 months, he is so good blah blah blah." I do know most of you that read this, I think, and I can say that I really don't think any of you are that mom, but never the less they are out there. This song I was listening to really made me appreciate Mason for all he can do and all he can't do yet. He is fabulous for who he is. Carter amazes me with his mental abilities to get things that some adults don't get. Taylor blows me away with her need for independence and to be a free thinker from the pack. Brennan has this sweet loving personality and is always giving and always thinking. I have realized that my children are so individual and unique. They are truly separate from one another in who they are as human beings. I hope that I can foster in each of them their uniqueness and their talents. That they will stand proud of who they are and what they can do. They will each shine in their way and their time. I always believed this, but today I guess I finally came to know it.
**it is now 2am and if this didn't make sense and you actually had to read it all..well done. :)**
3 comments:
Hollie, I think you have distilled the essence of parenting (at least my personal definition of of it!):
-Try not to have expectations of who your child is because you can't know before they are born.
-Accept them as a person who is unique from every other person and find the good in them.
-Ignore other's definitions of what is "good" or "normal" and find each person's own strengths to celebrate.
-Love them unconditionally and show them every day how you think they are unique and wonderful
-Don't tell them they are being wonderful when they are being less than their best but love them anyway
-Remember that who they are and who they choose to grow into does not mean you made bad choices as a parent. Each of them is a person who will make choices of their own.
...and for you personally: You are wise beyond your years and your children are so lucky to have gotten you and Mike as their parents!
Love to you all,
Auntie L
I have loved reading your blog lately, I am lucky to have you as a sister and lucky to have such great nieces and nephews! AND! super lucky to have my awesome family!
loved this! totally drank it up! i love hearing about my family far far away like this. thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings!!
very insightful and lovely words of wisdom!
i love my grandkids!!! they truely are amazing! each one in their OWN way!
Post a Comment