Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Day 4--Lake Geneva

We traveled to Montreux, on the shores of Lake Geneva in Switzerland. Because we got there in the middle of the night we couldn't see a thing when pulling in and were anxious to wake up and see where we were. What a gorgeous way to start your day! We set up camp and decided we would walk down to the lake and see if swimming was an option. We weren't sure just how cold it was going to be. You have to understand that we are use to the seaside where the North Sea is cold year round and swimming isn't always pleasant because of that. The day was very hot for our 'English' self's and we were optimistic for a great time in the sun.
This was a bridge that we drove across the evening before and it appeared as if you were driving right over the lake, in the darkness it was a bit nerve racking because the side wasn't all that protected, the wind was a bit much for our caravan towing selves and we were happy to be across it safe and sound.



The water was FANTASTIC!! Of course, the initial 'cold' hit you, but it went quickly and it was actually enjoyable to be in the water. The water was so clear--that is Carter doing a star fish pose, he was near the bottom at that point. The beach left much to be desired, but you can't have everything I guess. The kids still enjoyed themselves, as kids are able to do. They had a great time covering themselves up with the little stones and then washing off in the water.


We were joking around that we knew what it felt like to be 'English' because we were the most reflective people in the lake. The people of Switzerland are very tan, which actually surprised us for some reason, but we just laughed and enjoyed every ounce of Vitamin D we were getting!

Sweet little Honor wasn't super happy about sitting in her stroller most of the time, but she was still a great trooper. Jacob even decided to not pass up the chance to dip her little toes in Lake Geneva. Justice and Brennan were trying with all their might to make a flotation device out of some drift wood, much to their disappointment it just didn't work.
Cameron was in heaven! He loved playing in the water and with all the stones. Such a handsome little man, he was moving so fast all afternoon I wasn't able to get that many shots of him.
Don't tell the doctor--the cast may have got a little wet, but the smiles were worth it!

GORGEOUS! 





Some people may not know that I am very fearful of water. I have hated lakes and swimming in water for as long as I can remember. I do okay with swimming pools, but actual large bodies of water terrify me. Well, fears are just things that hold us back and often times they are complete nonsense. Mike had already swam out to the buoy and as he came in he challenged Jacob and myself to have a go at it. Well, I was very doubtful of my ability and quite frankly scared to death of going out there. Jacob just says, "well, I was just certified for water rescue." Thanks Jacob--that helped a ton! :) NOT! At that moment I decided that I didn't want my fear to run my life--so off I went with Jacob. I'm not stupid, of course I was going to swim out with him in case the offer of a rescue was needed. I was very pleased to make it all the way out and back again on my own. Then we all challenged Toni to swim out there as well, she said she wanted someone to go with her, and I quickly jumped at the chance to do it again. Clearly I am quite pleased with myself over this accomplishment.
This was just the beginning of what ended up being a great day in Switzerland!

1 comment:

Our Family said...

Looks like so much fun! What a beautiful place.